Monday, April 15, 2013

So, you wanna be friends?

    Friendship is and always will be more important to me than my ability to breath.  That's right; I value friendship more than my life.  I put a lot of effort into my friendships to ensure that they can last a lifetime.  For me, a good friendship is the product of mutual respect and communication; you just can't have a stable relationship without them.  I pride myself in being a very understanding individual; I like to think that I emanate acceptance through my personality and actions.  Nothing wounds me more deeply than when I realize that I have failed and see a friendship that I value start to deteriorate as a result.  Make no mistake, I'm well aware that some friendships evolve into something more, but at the heart of every relationship is a friendship.  And regardless of what happens, I will do everything in my power to make sure that that friendship survives.  That being said, when you lose mutual respect or communication, you will lose that friendship; unless, of course, those two elements can be restored.
    I'm not much of a talker; unless I see an opportunity to get a laugh or say something witty, I'm usually listening.  I'm a listener.  I may not like everything I hear, but I listen very well.  I thrive on gathering input like Johnny number 5.  I'm intrigued by what people have to say; it helps me get to know who they are and helps me become a better friend to that person.  I hope that people recognize that trait and feel comfortable enough to come to me with anything; even if it is something that may disappoint or even hurt me.  I need this information to be a better friend and to adjust my level of friendship according to the needs of that person.  I realize that mistakes will be made and feelings will be hurt, but without mutual respect and communication there's no way to salvage a completely viable friendship.  I know I'm not perfect (I'm well aware of it in fact) and I realize that I may fail at being a friend sometimes, but I ask that my friends not shut me out but rather communicate their concerns to me so that I may learn.  If I have ever given any of my friends a reason not to trust me or to feel that they cannot approach me with a necessary change to our relationship, then I am truly sorry for failing you.  Know that I value every one of you more than you can possibly comprehend and the thought of losing any of you breaks my heart.  And when it comes to friendships, I would rather hear bad news than no news at all.  I love all your faces and hope that I can be the friend that you all deserve.  *smooches*

No comments:

Post a Comment